Saturday, May 16, 2009

Page Swap...Let's Make It A KIT




I was talking to Amber and we decided to go with my original thoughts on the page swap...we're going to make it as a kit! So...here's how it will work when August rolls around. It can still be any theme, but still needs to inlcude the things I listed before:
August: Every One's In KIT Swap!!
*******This is a theme of your choice, however, you will be making page layout KIT for everyone (9 people total-including you). We will only do this a couple times a year for every person so please make it creative and high quality. If you need ideas go to http://www.scrapjazz.com/, http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/, or any of the people under my inspirational blogs on my personal blog page http://www.lizandericoram.blogspot.com/. I chose to do this in the summer so you have lots of options (back to school, vacation, camping, summertime, swimming, ect), and so that we will all have time to get them done (and time to save for those of us on a monthly budget)!! Here are the stipulations:
1-This will be a 2 page layout KIT
-You must use each of the following (this is to ensure that each person's product is the same and based on what fundamental pieces make a good layout), but you can use more if you would like:
---high quality card stock
---pattern paper (doesn't have to be a whole piece)
---1 embellishment
---1 title
---1 journaling spot
---ribbon
---photomats (as many of as few as your design calls for-typically you make them in a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2, 4 1/2 x 6 1/2, 3 1/2 x 5 1/2, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2, ect. Whatever the photo size you just add 1/4 inch to each side-making it 1/2 inch total for each measurement {length x width}).

As an exapmle I made this today to show you all how it will work (just like I did when I worked at Kellie's). I also did pricing to show you all that it can be fun and relatively cheap-depending on what you choose to use!! First, I picked out what I wanted to use:
2 cardstock pieces for the background (.50/each)=$1.00
1 cardstock sheet for photomats=.50$
1 sheet pattern paper (this one was pricer {1.99/sheet}...but they're usually around .80/each)=so we'll say .40$ (instead of my .99$)
1 embellishment (3.99$ for 6 in a package)=.66$ (you could get this cheaper...probably around .50$ would be more accurate)
20 inches of ribbon (usually around 1.00/yard I think, but this one was like 2 I think)=so we'll say .55$ (instead of my $1.11)
Title=free (I used left over photomat scraps, a stamp I already had, and glitter I already had)
Journaling spot=free (I used a scrap of white paper that I had with a little piece of left-over ribbon)
SO...the total cost for this page was...$3.67 x 9=$33.03 for all 9 kits
BUT...you should be able to get cheaper stuff and do it for around...$2.95 x 9= 26.55 If you start saving now that would be like $.30/day!!

So...step by step this is what you will do:
1-pick out your stuff, get enough for 9 kits
2-cut any pieces that you need to-such as photomats (please ink them if you did for your layout) or if you are only giving them 1/2 sheet of pattern paper you will need to cut that as well. Please also cut your title...you can do multiple ones if you'd like so that they have something to pick from. You do not need to cut the ribbon, just provide enough to mimic your layout.
3-provide all the materials to mimic your layout with a photo of that layout, in a bag (you can get these at scrapbooking stores really cheap...or find your own elsewhere...you can also package everything in a baggie and attatch it to the paper, on the extra cut-off strip) (as for the photo you can print these on like 2 sheets of normal computer paper-they don't have to be fancy...just enough for us to get an idea of what we can do with the kit).

We're not putting these together so that everyone can use the product how they want to to fit their needs, however, we are putting all the pieces in pretty much ready to go so that if you want to make the kit the same as the designer it will be easy to do so. It will be very really similar to the kits you can buy at scrapbooking store, or like the ones that scrapbooking companies put together. I hope this clears it up for everyone and makes it easier for you to get them ready to go!!! Love for you all....I hope this gets your creative juices going!! If you have any questions let me know and I will get back to you ASAP. Please no one fret, as I said earlier there are lots of places to get ideas from and it will be relatively inexpensive (plus you'll be getting 8 kits for your $-who can beat that?). I can't wait to see what you all create!! Don't forget May: woodland creatures, June: flutterby's and posies, July: summertime celebrations. All due by the 1st of the month following-for example your woodland creatures need to be to me by June 6th.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Amber Hooten said...

I do have a question about this month. Do the woodland creatures have to be realistic looking? I made a bear that has a dress on standing in front of a mushroom. I guess the only way for you to really tell is by me posting a picture so i will do that today on my blog. Let me know if it works. If not I will go buy something. i thought it was cute and that's why I did it.

Amber Hooten said...

You don't need to do insurance. There really wasn't a problem with it getting here. I am glad you like it. I think I am going to go and pick one more thing up from the store and get it out to you this week. We are leaving to go on vacation to Colorado on Wednesday. My goal is to get it out before we leave. Talk to you soon!